Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day 30

Sushi day! I have made sushi before with my cousin on one adventurous day. It wasn't hard. Just takes obvious practice. I'm talking about rolls though here. Not perfectly sliced fish with a knife that could take off your scalp like in the kill bill movie. I made rolls. We did start with baking some salmon skin until cooked and slightly crispy.


We made a huge batch of sushi rice, seasoning it with the usual vinegar/sugar mixture and keeping it covered so that it won't dry out. We started prepping all the ingredients for rolling.


Isn't this amazing. I love the color. That is not me cutting it. I avoided the uber sharp knife cutting expensive fish. The instructor was cutting this down. Some went to nigiri sushi, some to sashimi, some to a poke dish, and some to spicy tuna. A poke is a Hawaiian dish of diced fish, with sea salt, ogo seaweed, ponzu, chili paste, sesame oil, scallions and masago. Its great and in some asian markets they sell seasoning packets for it. You just dice tuna and stir in seasoning. Poke is fun.

This is the scraping of the tuna meat off of the silver skin that runs all through it. You use the scraped off meat for spicy tuna mixture. That is also not me with the little finger condom on. I did not have injuries this week. Yea me.

So some of our rolls were spicy tuna, poke, salmon skin, crunchy (shrimp tempura), eel, salmon, california and vegetarian. We also made a lightly marinated cucumber salad with thinly sliced octopus and some edamame. The colors on the platters were lovely.

Lunch could have been better with some big kirin lights and some sake. Well, next week is Italy. I will be puffy and full from all the carbs I am sure. If it wasn't still hitting 90 degrees I could hide in sweaters like the rest of the country. Fucking California sunshine.













No comments: