Monday, November 10, 2008

Day 37

I don't think I told you yet about my classmate who quit school. Well, he was the one who was seriously hard of hearing and already had not come for a week of school. It was actually Asia week which makes me think he just does not like Asia or the foods of it. He was on a "business" trip. He came back for Italy and then at the end of the week he announced that he would be leaving school because his other "business" endeavors were suffering due to his absence. So odd. But as a parting gift he gave all of us brand new microplanes. Thanks? Good luck? Not sure what to wish someone like that. Oh, did I mention that he also just bought a restaurant (in addition to whatever else he is up to)? So random. Anyways, today I made mayonnaise.


Homemade mayo is so far superior to jarred that if you dislike mayo you need to Pepsi challenge this shit. Jarred mayo vs. homemade. So different. I had made it before at home but wow. How much easier is it when someone else is pouring the oil for you! No wonder it took like 45 minutes at home. Dar. Mayo is great. Everyone should make and eat it. *Except persons with compromised immune systems, pregnant women and the elderly due to the risk of salmonella* I don't think they worry about that in Spain, do they?
I made a Spanish chicken chorizo stew next.


Sauteed chicken legs (boneless/skin on) and chorizo are already great. So when you then add orange zest, thyme, garlic, onion, carrot, red wine and whole plum tomatoes it just get better. We braised it.

This got served over a braised cabbage. We sauteed the cabbage, removed it from the pan, sauteed a brunoise of onion and carrot, deglazed with sherry and added cabbage back in along with veggie stock. It cooked until just tender. It was great with the chicken/chorizo.
Yes, cabbage rocks the stomach, but I think we must need it. It probably helps deal with the digestion of the chicken/chorizo. I think about this stuff.
We made shrimp tapas next. ENJOY MY CROOKED PICTURE.

You have to turn your head so you can see the lovely tomato rose in the middle. I made that! It was one of the most exciting things I have learned so far. Its not difficult at all. Just so crafty. You make it with the skin of a shitty hot house beefsteakish tomato. Start at the bottom and peel carefully with your pairing knife (use a short sawing motion) until you reach the stem. Then roll the skin up and finish it by setting the "rose" on the piece of the bottom that you started with. I would like a whole bouqet of tomato roses. They are fantastic. The shrimp were good too. The toast with the garlic cream sauce was better. The shrimp get sauteed with the tail on, add onion, add garlic, deglaze with wine, add cream and parsley and chile flakes and serve. Preferably with tomato rose.

Tomorrow is going to be rough. All dishes must be presented at the same time. 5 things at once! I am coordinated but still. That's a a lot. I think if I was making dishes that I had made before or maybe had read the recipe before it would be less intimidating. Learning 5 dishes and getting them right and timing them right the first time is tough. I expect crisis.













2 comments:

SOUP OF THE DAY said...

Hey girl ... I love your blog, and I know others will too. I featured it on my blog, actually. I think people will really enjoy going through this experience with you.

So, keep doing what your doing. Take pictures and lots of notes! People WILL catch on, and I think your blog will be a big success!

Jennifer said...

Wow. Thanks, dude. I haven't looked into that foodbuzz thing yet. School is taking up way more energy than I expected.