Monday, August 25, 2008

Idle hands...

So being super bored while no longer working and waiting for school to start is expensive. I have put myself sort of out of harm's way by not allowing any redecorating of house or shopping. There is, however, the eating problem. I am just finding all sorts of places to spend money on food. I am obsessed with japanese pub food at the moment. Oh, and the noodles at Fukada. These are not cheap habits. I wish I could be totally content just scrubbing floors and exercising. I am not that person. So I need to not eat out and figure out a way to be totally satisfied eating from the pantry and clean my house. And exercise. But its so hot out, ma! and I am a wuss in the heat.

To entertain myself last week I hosted Cuba day. My friend and I made mojitos (she made amazing mojitos), cuban sandwiches, black beans, yuca, and chickpea and octopus salad. We swam in the pool and got sort of drunk on those damn mint/lime sodas she was making ("but they don't taste strong?"). So going to Cuba was fun even if the trip back was a little rough. Everyone seemed to be slightly seasick from that ride. I have to recommend the recipe for the cuban sandwiches. It was from the gourmet cookbook. Its just rolls with roasted pork, thinly sliced ham, swiss cheese, pickles, and yellow mustard smashed in a sandwich press and grilled. My favorite food group is not sandwiches but I loved me some cuban sammie. And it wasn't just from the rum, I swear. Really.

No comments: