Wednesday, August 27, 2008

BEEF!

Okay, I am back to cooking at home. Feeling much better about it. Although cheap mexican tacos still sound sort of tempting. Nonetheless, I broke my bad streak by grilling ribeye. Hub actually did the putting of meat on fire but whatever. I had to tell him what to do so its like I made it myself. I swear I can grill too! Stop teasing me! I seasoned the meat heavily with the bicentennial rub from penzey's spices and served it with a fennel salad. The fennel salad was 2 bulbs, thinly sliced and tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, and capers. Easy, refreshing and a good steak topper. I also grilled sweet potatoes. I boiled the slices first and then seasoned them with the same grill seasoning and tossed them with a little olive oil. Just grilled them until marked and slightly crisp on the outside. They looked colorful and festive. I will figure out how to take pics and put them onto posts. Its a big goal. Next few nights will include a take on carbonara and possibly cold soba with dipping sauce and daikon radish. And I think I might make pickles. Research needs to be done first. Any pickle tips? That sounded gross.

2 comments:

We Are Never Full said...

we've made pickles - couldn't be easier to make. if you want 'em spicy, add some hot pepper. that's my 'tip'. also, i totally heart fennel salad. allow it marinate overnight and use a mandoline to slice it super thin and... whoa.

Jennifer said...

So I tried pickling cucumbers and daikon with sugar and rice vinegar. Yum. Thanks for the tip.