Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Just another day

If you don't have a job and haven't started school yet then a three day weekend is just your average day. It really takes the juice out of a holiday. Especially one that involves laying around, swimming, eating and drinking. Meh. I did manage to do all of those things well and cook a few solid meals. We watched the usc game with friends and made Ina Garten's chicken ceasar sandwiches and heirloom tomato salad with blue cheese dressing. Tomatoes from farmer dave in placentia cannot be beat. Sorry mom. They are gorgeous and grown without chemicals. Love him. So sandwiches were great. Salad was outrageously summery good. If you haven't cooked any of her (barefoot contessa) recipes you need to. They are solid, easy, and generally delicious. I love how they translate to entertaining. Easy to present and make ahead. The sandwich is roast chicken breast, sundried tomatoes, arugula, ceasar spread (like a dressing), parmesan cheese, and toasted ciabatta. Tomatoes are simply sliced and drizzled with blue cheese dressing. Her recipe obviously includes cheese, mayo and heavy cream. The cream is just to make sure it's good. And it was. You could half the dressing recipe though for sure.

If you are sitting around your house trying to find things to occupy you other than cleaning you could try making pickles. I have not yet figured it out. I keep making different takes on the kind that don't require the canning process as I don't have canning salt or special lids. Today I am making a daikon, carrot, cucumber pickle with ginger. I like the colors, I like ginger. By late afternoon we will see how this all comes together.

I also made shortbread this weekend. I used the ina garten recipe since it seemed simplest and I didn't feel like chopping and toasting nuts between laying around, playing wii, and drinking beers. Shortbread is so easy. I think I would like a ginger shortbread variation. Or a pinenut rosemary one. I need that recipe for the one at Pizzeria Mozza. That shit is tight. Mine were larger than I liked. I would make them way smaller next time. The thickness made them seem more cakey less cookiey. They were a lovely white sand color with pretty fluted edges though. I plan on eating one with tea later.

No comments: