Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day 4

We started making brown stock today. Roasted bones, added veg (mirepoix) and tomato paste.

Very exciting. Not really but I did like the smell. Here is a close up, don't wet yourself.

So after this little party was toasty we drained off some of the fat for safety before moving the sheet pan. Please note that the draining part what with the sheet pan BENDING did not feel safe at all. But I lived. I was pretty sure that the man who stands next to me and was helping me carry it was going to send me to the ER but he did not end up disfiguring me. Yes, I am grateful too. So we then just let it cool down and chilled it til tomorrow. Big beef brown stock day. TGI bbbsday. Then we made soup. Broccoli soup, actually.


See my cute little bouquet garni in the corner? Its so cute and little and tidy. Okay the string is a little sloppy. I'll do better tomorrow. I started my soup with pommace oil and a sweat of white mirepoix (leek, onion, celery). I then added broccoli, bouquet garni, and chicken stock. It simmered, and before it was done I added a touch of cream. I pureed that shit up in a vita mix and then simmered again and added roux for thickening. I chinoised (I'm sure that's a word) and reseasoned. It was boring. Great texture, good flavor but boring. The ones I liked best thickened at the beginning with flour or potato and then discarded extra liquid when pureeing to adjust thickness. Damn. I was grumpy about it for a solid hour or so. I did enjoy taking it to go, though.


Then we started working on fancy cuts again. This time on potato. So same routine as yesterday but on a much softer vegetable. Much easier. Next on to segmenting citrus. I have done this before and I have to say that the first time I did it I was amazed at the beautiful little shiny juicy pockets. Today I still enjoyed it but it wasn't like the first time. Is it ever?

Up tomorrow: I will murder a lobster to make a delicious bisque. Dessert, anyone?

1 comment:

Heather said...

Ooh, stock day! Such a good thing to learn. Brown stock is used so frequently in my kitchen.