Monday, September 29, 2008

Day 11

Believe it or not, its the third week already. Last week was weird with the serve safe one day and wine class another. It feels like we barely cooked. Except when I remember that I tasted more sauces based on butter than I knew existed. Wine class today was the same agenda as last week. We talked more about different wine regions around the world and then tasted a bunch. So today we had a sauvignon blanc from Napa, CA, an albarino from rias baixas, Spain, a pinot grigio from veneto, Italy, a viognier from south Australia, and a Riesling from CA. So those were the whites. I liked the sauv blanc and the albarino. If you haven't tasted one before, you should give it a whirl. Its very easy to drink and has some great floral notes, yet is still dry with medium to full body. For reds we started with a chianti classico (surprise! I actually liked it), a ribera del duero, spain, an easy drinking malbec from mendoza, and a zinfandel by Bogle in CA. I have a hard time enjoying tasting these big reds. They are really overwhelming in my mouth. Maybe that just means I need to practice drinking them more. I should get a good chance this week as we are beginning meat fabrication tomorrow. I can't wait. I have always wanted to learn how to fillet things and debone. Very mysterious techniques that I think are part secret ritual that regular home cooks don't get to learn. I plan on penetrating this secret circle tomorrow. Yes, I know that sounded really dirty, sor.

DAY 12 - I find out secrets involving carcass and knives!

No comments: