Monday, September 15, 2008

FIRST DAY!!!!!

The first day of school came so quick. What with a weekend in vegas to get me focused. Nothing like vegas to balance you out. Real sober-like. But not to worry. I was ready and not hungover this morning in my freshly ironed uniform. My husband sweetly made me a fried egg for breakfast and a cup of tea. I didn't expect fireworks today at school and we there weren't any. We had lecture all day on topics of safety and sanitation, conversions and kitchens. It wasn't boring but it was a little tedious by the end of our day. I will be thankful to chop onions tomorrow.
My classmates' personalities are unfolding and I have been watching people with interest. Only 2 of our class are there for enjoyment, the rest are there to shift careers. I was suprised by how many were taking that leap and at their varied ages and previous job experience; military, marketing, sales, and psychology to mention a few.
So its time to talk about the 2 times I was embarrased enough to get bright red cheeks and feel tongue tied. First it was when my notebook slid off the shelf and slid onto the floor. I know it sounds real simple and not important but I really don't like to make any sort of scene on like the first day of school/work/relationship/date. You get it. So then a few minutes later my shitty pen lid fell off and slid onto the same place on the floor and the chef said "Jennifer is dropping things all over the place". Great. I am the girl who drops stuff. The next moment was when he was talking about our suppliers for the school who deliver our varied produce, meats, and supplies. I asked if the meat supplier also provided offal. He looks at me like I might just be speaking an extinct dialect. He says "What? I have never heard of that word before. What is it?" I looked around the class and repeated myself "Offal?" Several of the class nodded and repeated. That was sort of a relief. He then said "I have not heard of this word". I am not sure how I feel about the fact that he had not known this word. Did other students not talk or inquire about it? Is it not a strong culinary trend? Maybe he just didn't understand me (He is French) (and has an accent). I did feel stupid, though. So in short, I hope I didn't come across as weird and clumsy. One or the other is forgivable, but both...yeesh. This could be a daily feature: what embarrassing moment did I have today?
Oh, and I did find out that chef has sort of bad breath.

No comments: